After two wonderful weeks in Rio Guadiana, it was time for me to sail back to Faro. The wind was favorable and since I had a haulout appointment for ahora at the end of June, it was time to raise the anchor anyway.
We reached the anchorage just before Vila Real around noon when wind and current turned. Perfect timing and on that day ahora’s engine stayed cold. I am particularly happy every time I get a day of sailing completely without the engine. I also see it as good training in case the engine ever fails. Of course, traveling like this is only possible if you allow yourself enough time to wait for suitable winds. But when sailing, the journey should be the destination anyway.
The higher the sun approached the zenith, the weaker the wind became and around 10 a.m. I had to start the engine.
Unfortunately, as soon as we reached the Culatra breakwater, my new crew member took off so that my autopilot will have to take over again in the future.
I myself will fly to Germany for two weeks to see friends and family and to move my belongings from Constance to Leverkusen to my grandparents’ attic. Friends of mine had to take care of the official move out of my sublet apartment in Konstanz at the end of April due to Corona.
However, I am already looking forward to put ahora back into the water end of July.
All is well